This is the “Table of Contents” page of my articles, which are categorized by topics. I hope this will help you find your interested topics quicker. This page will be updated when new articles come out.
- Web Test Automation
- Techniques, Opinions, Showcases, Benchmark, Advice, Self-reflections
- Continuous Testing
- Techniques, Opinions, Showcases, Self-reflections
- Test Automation for Desktop Apps
- Testing API/WebService/Microservices
- Performance/Load Testing
- Agile Testing
Web Test Automation
1. Test Automation Techniques
- Step by Step showing how to learn to write raw Selenium WebDriver test scripts in minutes
Selenium WebDriver is the Easiest-to-Learn Web Test Automation Framework, far easier than any other test automation framework, using free software. Seeing is believing!
- Maintainable Automated Test Design
Design automated test scripts that are easy to maintain.
- Test AJAX Properly and Efficiently with Selenium WebDriver, and Avoid ‘Automated Waiting’
A simple and efficient way to do AJAX testing, in seconds
- Functional Test Refactoring
1. Functional Test Refactoring: Extract Function
2. Functional Test Refactoring: Move to Helper
3. Functional Test Refactoring: Move
4. Functional Test Refactoring: Extract to Page Function
5. Functional Test Refactoring: Introduce to Page Object
6. Functional Test Refactoring: Rename
- Attach Selenium Python test steps against an existing browser
Debugging automated tests (in PyTest) with high efficiency
- Automation Assist
- Use UI Automation to Assist Agile Showcases
- Automation Assist Technique, Part 1: Showcase
- Testing Emails in Automated Test Scripts with Fake SMTP server: MailCatcher
Safe, Fast, and Reliable Email Testing with Selenium WebDriver and MailCatcher
- Free Test Automation Practice Site with Database Reset
Data reset will help you to write automated tests much easier
- Optimize Selenium WebDriver Automated Test Scripts: Speed
Simple techniques to improve the execution speed of some automated test steps, up to 50X.
- Optimize Selenium WebDriver Automated Test Scripts: Maintainability
Simple techniques to make maintaining automated test steps easier.
- Drive Chrome with Extensions using Selenium WebDriver
- Series: Why Do Most UI Test Automation Fail? (Technical)
- Part 1: Wrong choice of automation framework
- Part 2: Wrong choice of test syntax framework
- Part 3: Wrong test scripting language
- Part 4: Wrong choice of test automation tool
- Part 5: Don’t know how to design easy-to-maintain test scripts
- Part 6: Lack of Efficiency
- Part 7: Lake of experience in executing a medium-size regression suite of automated UI tests
- Series: Why Do Most UI Test Automation Fail? (Human factors)
- Part 1: Management under-estimate the effort, especially on test maintenance
- Part 2: Tech leads over-estimate their capability in test automation
- Part 3: Tech leads are fixated with a particular wrong technologies
- Part 4: No access to a real Test Automation Coach
- Why Gherkin (Cucumber, SpecFlow,…) Always Failed with UI Test Automation?
All test automation attempts using Gherkin syntax, that I know of, all failed badly. Why? The creator of Cucumber said “Cucumber as a test tool it sucks”.
- Why Cypress sucks for real test automation? (Part 1: Selenium is way better)
All Cypress test projects, that I know of, all failed. This article tells you why.
- Why Cypress Sucks for Real Test Automation? (Part 2: Limitations)
Many limitations of Cypress make it not suitable for serious test automation.
- False ‘Selenium WebDriver Cons”
The so-called ‘Cons’ of Selenium WebDriver listed in some review articles are wrong, plainly wrong.
- Please, Not Another Web Test Automation Framework, Just Use Raw Selenium WebDriver
Don’t ruin your test automation with a silly mistake — “building a new test framework”. 99.999% of engineers simply don’t have the capability, moreover, it is totally unnecessary (and mostly ended embarrassingly). Just follow Facebook/Google/Microsoft, use raw Selenium WebDriver.
- Irrational and False Excuses for Web Test Automation Failures
Real reason: Incompetence. Just admit ‘lack of the skills’, change the mindset, and seek professional help if necessary.
- Why I Created a Selenium Recorder But Rarely Use it myself?
Recorded test scripts are hard to maintain. With a good testing tool, handcrafting automated test scripts can be highly efficient and fun.
- Web Automation Framework Trend ⇒ Selenium WebDriver
The only automation framework is W3C Compliant.
- Why Auto-Retry of Test Execution in a Test Framework is Wrong?
I pioneered auto-retry back in 2007. The Auto-retry shall not be in the test framework (like Cypress and Jest did it wrongly), it shall be in the CT server.
- Which Selenium WebDriver locator is faster?
The result might surprise you.
- Performance comparison: Selenium Ruby, Python, and Node.js
4. Show Cases (Web Test Automation)
- Upgrade 500 Selenium v3 tests to Selenium v4, Easy!
It is good that I chose Selenium, an and only W3C compliant automation framework.
- Case Study of UI Test Automaton on My Own Migration Project
- Working Automated Test ≠ Good Reliable Test
A case study to show the common mistakes in poor-quality and unreliable automated test scripts. Develop a working automated UI test is not enough.
- Case Study: Simulate Two Users with Selenium Automation Scripts
An impressive demonstration of a typical enterprise business process scenario with automation scripts.
- Advice on Self-Learning Test Automation with Selenium WebDriver
Self-Learning web test automation is possible.
- Advice on Software Projects to Survive at COVID-19: Time to Skill up Continuous Testing
Test Automation and CT will be even more beneficial to software projects after the Post-Covid world.
- My Test Automation Journey
How I changed my career from a Java Programmer to Test Automation/Continuous Testing coach and the lessons I learned over the last 15 years.
- Reflections of Software I Created over the Last 14 Years in My Spare Time
Test Automation and Continuous Testing helped me to be a much better programmer. Thanks to test automation and CT, I am the owner of several highly acclaimed software products.
- Lessons Learned from Test failures due to a new ChromeDriver Bug
The automation framework is software, it may contain bugs as well.
- My Dream that I Had 20 Years Ago: “develop a cool C++ app” Has Been Finally Realised
Continuous Testing (CI/CD) & DevOps
7. CT Techniques
- Set Up a Continuous Testing Server to Run Selenium Tests in Minutes
Run Selenium tests in a 100% free and open-source CT server, no previous CI/CT experience is required.
- AgileWay Continuous Testing Grading
A simple grading system to rank your Agile/DevOps instantly!
- Benefits of Continuous Testing Series
1. Part 1: to Wise Executives
2. Part 2: to Wise Managers
3. Part 3: to Wise Business Analysts
4. Part 4: to Wise Developers
5. Part 5: to Wise Testers
6. Part 6: to Happy Customers
- Software Development Trend ⇒ Continuous Testing
The trend in software development is Continuous Testing: executing automated end-to-end regression tests in a CT server, multiple times a day.
9. CT Show Cases
- Recommend a Great CI Presentation: “Continuous Integration at Facebook”
See what a real Continuous Integration(& DevOps) is like.
- WhenWise Regression Test Suite Reaches 500 Selenium tests and ~300K Test Executions
Share WhenWise’s CT process, which enables daily deployment to production.
- My Continuous Testing Journey
Execute automated test suite from Testing IDE ⇒ Build Scripts from Command Line ⇒ CI Server ⇒ CT Server.
Desktop Test Automation
- Demo of Automated Testing for Windows Desktop App: TestWise tests TestWise
An Appium-WinAppDriver automated test creates a Selenium-WebDriver test in TestWise.
- Did you push software updates into production yesterday?
“Daily Deployment (to production)” is an eXtreme Programming (XP, first Agile) practice.
- Why Don’t I Use Defect Tracking? No Need, I do real Continuous Testing.
Real Agile projects minimize defect tracking with automated regression testing
- With a Good Continuous Testing Process, You Can Get “GOOD & CHEAP & FAST” in Software Development
Quality enhances Efficiency and saves Cost.
- “One Team One Dream” vs “Another Day Another Dollar”
The reality of IT team morale is often far from IT executives’ slogans. The most effective way to reduce the gap: Continuous Testing.
- Estimating Test Automation Story Points is a Total Waste of Time
95+% of test automation efforts are on test maintenance & regression testing
- Automation Assist Series
1. Use UI Automation to Assist Agile Showcases
2. Automation Assist, Part 1: Showcase
- AgileWay Test Automation Formula
A shortcut to test automation success
- Effortless Requirement Traceability
- Lava Lamp Integration with the CT Server